Hi, I’m Mia Downing and I’m new to the 69 Shades of Smut family! Thanks for letting me join. Because it’s my first day and things go better when one brings presents, I’m going to offer up an e-copy of any of the Spy Games books to one lucky comment maker!
My latest release is book three of the Spy Games series, Endgame. My #1 stalker fan posed the question: What music did you use to write the Spy Games Series? I want to purchase the same songs.
That’s a great question (and I’m not afraid of my stalker fan, by the way. She’s very nice and hasn’t killed me yet.) A lot of authors have their Pinterest boards and character sketches, but my #1 fan knows I work mainly with music. If I can’t find the right song, I can’t write. The great thing about the Spy Games Series is some of the songs can carry over from book to book. It was just a matter of finding new songs that worked for each character.
The Spy Games books are interesting, because I can use a lot of the songs for all three of them. Spy Games: Trained for Seduction used a bunch of different songs and artists. I’ll give you a quick rundown, and if it worked for the other two, I’ll put a note.
Spy Games: Trained for Seduction (book 1)
- Kate’s song is “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson. The lyrics don’t necessarily fit, but the song is about empowerment.
- Chase doesn’t really have a song but if he did, it would be “Games Without Frontiers”by Peter Gabriel.
- Anything angsty going on was probably written to “River Flows In You” by Yiruma (piano piece, beautiful.) All books.
- The song Chase makes love to Kate to on the Ipod is: “Set Fire to the Third Bar” by Snow Patrol (feat. Martha Wainright.)
- “With or Without You” by U2 is a must for any love scene for all three books.
Links for Trained for Seduction (in print or e-book)
Spy Games: Lethal Limits (book 2)
Oh, Jake and Tia, the complex creatures of Spy Games: Lethal Limits, sparked many, many songs. This book actually took up many songs, but I’ll just list a few. If you’ve read the series, you know Jake is all about his music. He doesn’t like country, btw, despite his Texas roots.
- The song Jake dances to with Tia in the kitchen is “Called Out in the Dark” by Snow Patrol (it’s just a fun song.)
- In the beginning of the book, Jake likes to sing “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield but changes the lyrics to Chase’s Girl.
- When Tia’s snooping in Jake’s room, the song is “Policy of Truth” by Depeche Mode
- “Young Blood” by The Naked and the Famous, was a big listen for this book
- “Goodbye Horses” by Lazzarus was a weird song choice (if you listen to it, it’s the song from Silence of the Lambs at the end. Fabulous song, sort of creepy feeling, but techno.)
- I also went through a Matt Nathanson phase. “Wedding Dress,” Run,” and “Kiss Quick” were all big.
Links for Spy Games: Lethal Limits (print or e-book)
Spy Games: Endgame
- If you’ve never watched the video, “Crossfire” by Brandon Flowers fits this book perfectly except Charlotte never really rescues Aaron except in the beginning. However, how Charlize Theron’s character looks at Brandon Flowers at the very end in the truck says it all, despite the toughness. “Crossfire” by Brandon Flowers Video on Youtube.
- Charlotte loves the word motherf**ker, so who better than Nikki Minaj to sing “Starships” to make her day?
- “Titanium” by David Guetta and Sia is another good Charlotte song since she appears to be bullet-proof on the outside but is actually very damaged inside.
- For Aaron, “Snow” from the Red Hot Chili Peppers sort of outlines his dangerous dance with alcohol and his contemplation for drug usage to ease his pain.
- “Mercy” from Matt Nathanson was Aaron’s song after he gained purpose. So I pictured him in the airport with Charlotte, listening to this.
- “Gold, Guns, Girls” by Metric is the song when Charlotte faces off with Chase in the airport and the scene that follows.
- “With or Without You” by U2 is a go-to sex scene song.
Buy Links for Endgame (available at all retailers after 11/15/13)
What about you? What music inspires you to write, cook, work out or whatever you do in your life? I’m dying to know! Thanks for stopping by! ~Mia